Saturday 21 April 2012

Confrontation with my Worst Fear

It is a great day to be alive, even if it is less than we had hoped for.

Growing up, we get to learn a lot about our parents.

That includes what our parents fear.

My parents, while I lived with them, had a strong fear of the internet.  It wasn't so much the internet really, but the fact that someone out there could possibly see and hear us in the privacy of our own home - without our knowledge (and we didn't even own a webcam yet)!

Many years later, my Dad has broken through the fear and regularly sends video mail to my kids.  My Mom shows up on camera from time to time as well.

It is no surprise that I never did like video chat rooms (except for those brief years of rebellion where I would spend nights in those delightfully immature yet entertaining yahoo chat sessions - especially the prank phone calls room).

Alas, my parents' worst nightmare came true in my own life.  Being caught on a webcam without any control - or even necessarily knowledge - of what was going on.  A job interview is always stressful, and that is where it had to happen!

Sitting there, shaking and full of anxiety because I could not figure out how to make the video program work, I conversed with my potential boss, trying to prove that I knew how to work a computer.

I had several Google+ tabs open in my browser, and it resulted in the program crashing.  I could not see her, and I could barely use the chat window, but...I could hear her...and then she told me what I had feared...SHE could SEE and HEAR me!!!

I cringed...and tried to hide my obvious distaste for the occasion.  I had no idea if the camera was positioned correctly, or how I looked.  I had lost control over my computer!  Finally, my husband rescued me and told me to restart the browser.

Success!

 I could see my boss, myself, and all went well!  Now I can laugh.  And you can laugh at me too.

What fearful situations have you gotten into lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment